Museum annually holds more than 30 exhibitions and events. The museum exhibitions on exhibiting items of material and spiritual culture of the museum collections and private collections were focused. The Museum continues to work on implementation of previously-established international contacts and organized about 20 exhibitions in foreign countries.
Foreign museum exhibitions
The successful cooperation with the British Museum (London), the State Hermitage Museum (St. Petersburg), the Japan National Museum, the Korean National Ethnographic Museum (Seoul), Russian Ethnographic Museum (St. Petersburg), the University of Bologna (Italy), the State Historical Museum (Moscow), Museum of Anthropology at Pennsylvania University (USA), Institute for the Study of the Ancient World at New York University (USA), the Museum of Oriental Art Guimet (Paris), the Museum of Mining (Bochum, Germany) and many other foreign institutions are developed.
It’s worthy to note organized in three German cities of the international exhibition "Under the Sign of the Golden Griffin" the burial mounds of Saka are among the most significant. The most significant component of the exhibition is a collection of archaeological gold of Kazakhstan from the CSM RK collection. The exhibition is organized jointly with the Russian and Ukrainian museums, which hold collection of treasures of Scythian burials. The first Berlin show for three months had a great success; the exhibition was visited by over 149,000 people. The exhibition in Munich and Hamburg, and lasted until the spring of 2008were continued. Treasures of Saka burials at exhibitions in Jordan (2009), UAE (2009), Korea (2010), France (2010), USA (2012), Germany (2013) and other countries were displayed.
Joint exhibition project of the CSM RK with the Museum of Oriental Art Guimet (Paris) - "Kazakhstan: people, animals and the gods of the steppes" is one of the highlights in the history of Kazakhstan 2010. The exhibition was timed to the first official visit of the head of State Nursultan Nazarbayev to France and had a huge success.
In 2012, the CSM RK in cooperation with the Institute for the Study of the Ancient World at New York University (USA) presented to the American public the new project "Nomads and networks: the ancient art and culture of Kazakhstan". Joint exhibition both in New York and in the Freer and Sackler Galleries at the Smithsonian Institute of Washington had a great success. The exhibition included archaeological collections from the CSM RK and the Presidential Cultural Centre (Astana).
In 2013, an international exhibition of the CSM RK "Unknown Kazakhstan, archeology in the heart of Asia" organized together with the Museum of Mining in Bochum (Germany)the rich history and culture of the early nomads was displayed.
Exhibition of museum collections
The museum's collection holds exhibitions of various classifications: anniversary, memorial, collection, exhibition of onepiece, etc. For 2009-2014, more than 150 exhibitions, which aroused great interest of the scientific and cultural community and have received considerable attention in the national media, were conducted. Among them: the exhibition "The great scholar of Kazakh land" dedicated to the 115th anniversary of K.I. Satpayev, «Ғалым ұстаз» dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the first director of CSM RK, scientist, ethnographer A. Zhirenchin, exhibition «Қазақ киносының саңлағы» dedicated to the 100th anniversary of Sh.Aimanov, exhibition at the scientific conference "Argynbayev readings" dedicated to the 90th anniversary of Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor Khalel Argynbayev.
"Afghanistan hurts in my soul: 25 Years Later" dedicated to the 25th anniversary of withdrawal of the Soviet armyfrom Afghanistan, "Echo of Chernobyl" dedicated to the 28th anniversary of the nuclear disaster at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, "Leader elected by the people" dedicated to the Day of the First President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, «Желтоқсан–Тәуелсіздік жаңғырығы» dedicated to the December events of 1986, exhibition "Afghanistan: 35 Years Later" dedicated to the 35th anniversary of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.
Exhibition from private collections
The Exhibitions from private collections provided and organized by individuals: exhibitions dedicated to the creativity of art and culture at the present (artists, photographers, collectors and others). The exhibitions of presentation character, revealing the achievements of Kazakhstan in various fields as science, economics, social and cultural sphere. As well as exhibitions on inter-museum exchangesdisplaying collections of museums around the world. The exhibition aims to attract a wide range of visitors.
Over the past few years (2010-2013) the CSM RK housed more than 88 exhibitions of private collections in collaboration with artists, photographers, collectors, craftsmen, representatives of the diplomatic corps of Kazakhstan, museums, research and creative organizations.
Exhibitions of a great public attention:
- The exhibition "History of Kazakhstan sport", as part of the 7th Asian Winter Games in Almaty in 2011, organized jointly withLLP «Media Group Collection». On the opening day visitors with the exposition of sports and famous athletes of Kazakhstanwere acquainted.
- Multimedia interactive exhibition "Speak German", dedicated to the study of German language and culture, organized jointly with the Goethe Institute and the German Consulate in Almaty (2010).
In 2011, the exhibition of the artist Qin Baylan together with the Consulate of China "Images of ancient Chinese beauties" was housed. Her exhibitions were held in more than 50 countries around the world. She has made a significant contribution to the Chinese-foreign cultural exchange and friendship among peoples. The exhibition was attended by more than 5,000 people.
In 2012 exhibition project "Colours of Nauryz" in collaboration with the private galleries of Almaty and a joint project with PetroKazakhstan "Earth warmed by the sun" dedicated to the Independence Day of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the exhibition "Art Doll Seasons" (2) and crafts fairs of Central Asia countries (4) werehoused.
Museum organized the exhibition of German artist Bernd Lutz in “KazPopArt style”, an exhibition of Italian photographer Andrea Pacini "My view of the world", a photo exhibition "Beautiful China" (General Consulate of China), "The world through the eyes of the kimono master Itiku Kubota" (Japan), "Week of the Holy Koran" (Iran), the International Christmas Art Exhibition, etc.
- Exhibition "My world view" of the Italian photographer Andrea Pacini. At the exhibition 60 photographs reflecting the natural places his travels as Kazakhstan, Central Asia, Korea, Russia, Italy are displayed.
- Interesting work in KazPOPART style (abstract expressionism, contemporary art forms, oriented to the imagery, advertising) of German artist, designer, photographer Bernd Lutz, who on his large-scale paintings depicted the national symbols of Kazakhstan, fragments of the heroic past of the Kazakh people, ornaments, monuments, objects of art of Almaty and Astana were displayed.
- Exhibition "Week of the Holy Koran" organized jointly with the cultural representation of the Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran. At the exhibition over 90 works of art of calligraphers Muhammad Pur and Mehdi Tusi (Teheran) with compositions of Islamic ornaments and inscriptions from the Koran: paintings of the Koran ayahs, translated into various languages of the world are of special note.
In 2014 the exhibition organized jointly with the Embassy of Japan in Kazakhstan and the Japanese House of Ichikawa (exhibition of Japanese art issekatagami, the festival of Japanese culture) and the exhibition from collections of foreign museums - the exhibition "The memory of Hiroshima and Nagasaki" (Memorial Peace complexof Nagasaki) and the exhibition "Arirang– the soul of Korea" (collection of the National Museum of Ethnography of the Republic of Korea) were of great public interest.
- "Festival of Japanese culture" and the exhibition of "ISEKATAGAMI" art
At the exhibition unique paintings of Japanese master Kakumaru san, as well as the paintings of Almaty artists were presented. There were exhibited more than 150 works. The event was attended by over 3,500 people.
- The exhibition "Memory of Hiroshima and Nagasaki", dedicated to the 69th anniversary of one of terrible events in human history - the atomic bombing of Japanese cities. The exhibition is organized in cooperation with the National Memorial Nagasaki Peace complex with the support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan in Japan, the Japanese Embassy in the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Kazakhstan-Japan Center for Human Resources Development (KJC). At the exhibition were presented: photos with the evidence of the tragedy and its aftermath (Hiroshima and Nagasaki); video evidence (Chronicle, documentaries) about nuclear tragedy and devastation caused by the bombing. At the opening of the exhibition the president of the International antinuclear movement "Nevada-Semipalatinsk" O.Suleimenov, chairman of the M.O.Auezov fund M.M.Auezov made a speech.
The traditional focus of cultural and educational activities of the Central State Museum of the Republic of Kazakhstan is the organization and holding of craftsfair of Kazakhstan and Central Asia. The CSM RK for 10 years conducts annual crafts fairof over 150 artisans from Central Asia (Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan). This exhibition among connoisseurs of art and handicraft fans of both Kazakhstan and abroad is always in demand. Crafts fair aimed at the promotion and revival of cultural and historical heritage of the Kazakh people and the peoples of Central Asia.
- In 2014, the museum housed 4 large fair crafts "TIME OF TULIP", "Silk Road", "Altyn Alma" and "Shygys (Orient) Bazaar". At exhibitions masters demonstratea wide range of products and various handicrafts as embroidery, weaving, manufacture of felt, jewelry, ceramic pottery, items of leather, silk, wood, etc., which reflects the national colors and the rich culture of the peoples Central Asia.
International exhibitions of the museum
Every year in the museum to promote cultural relations and promoting of culture of the peoples of the world, as well as to the development the scientific cooperation with museums, research, educational and cultural institutions of near and far abroad international exhibitions were organized. The brightest events in recent years are the following international exhibitions: Exhibition of jewelry "Faberge" (Russia, 2006), "Dolls of Japan" (Japan, 2009), "Chinese Kaleidoscope - painting of modern life" (China 2009), "The world through the eyes of the master of kimono Itiku Kubota" (Japan, 2013) and many others.
One of the important events of 2014 was the exhibition "Arirang–The Soul of Korea" was organized jointly with the National Museum of Ethnography of the Republic of Korea (Seoul). At the exhibition more than 240 unique items: books, albums, magazines, newspapers, collections of traditional folk songs, musicsheet, records, clothes, household appliances, virtual items, video, tape recorders were presented. Among the exhibits: the book of "Me Chung Yaryk"(photocopy of 1894), the first magazine "The Korean Repository"(1899), scarf souvenir (1951), an album of Korean Songs (1923), notes, the lyrics"Arirang"(1931 ), a brochure for the film "Arirang" (1957), chess, toothpicks, kerosene iron with "Arirang" symbol (1960-1970) etc. International exhibition "Arirang–The Soul of Korea" allowed to visitors to know the poetic soul of Korean people, feel the spirit of the past Korea, and enjoy arts and culture. Books, albums, magazines, newspapers, collections of traditional folk songs, notes, records, clothes, household appliances, virtual items, video tape recorders and other from the funds of the Korean museum were firstly presented in Kazakhstan. The exhibition housed 251 units of exhibits of museum significance.
During the Days of Turkmenistan Culture in the Republic of Kazakhstan in the CSM RK an exhibition of art works of decorative art of Turkmenistanwere organized. At the exhibition 135 units of museum objects from the collections of museums significance of Turkmenistan were displayed.